President Kevin Minard

Vice - President   David Wilson 

Treasurer Joe Walker

Secretary  David Prince  

Demonstration Garden Co-Leads

Victoria Gally - Cindy Platzer

Constant Contact (group e-mail)...moday68@aol.com

Mary Carey  Web master

Steering Committee Minutes

                                                                            Date:  August 11, 2017

 

 

Call to order

  • Al Winkeler called to order the regular meeting of the Master Gardeners Steering Committee at 9:00AM on August 11, 2017.

 

Attendance

  • In attendance: Al Winkeler, Joe Walker, Craig Morton, Mary Carey, Laura Steimel, Rich Hoormann, MU Extension Specialist and Mary Medina. 

 

Secretary’s Report

  • All members having read the minutes of the July 14, 2017 meeting, it was moved by Joe Walker seconded by Craig Morton that the minutes be approved as submitted.  Vote was unanimous in favor to approve. 

Treasury Report 

  • Current bank account balance (see treasurer for amount).  It was moved by Mary Carey and seconded by Laura Steimel that the Treasurer's Report be accepted as presented.  Vote was unanimous in favor to approve.                                                          

MU Extension Specialist- Rich Hoormann

  • Rich Hoormann reported they tallied contacts through Hortline and his office as follows:

    • 41% about water/soil

    • 8% about vegetables and fruit

    • 22% about Home Horticulture and flowers

    • 8% home pest

    • 18% agriculture

    • 3% Commercial Horticulture

  • Mr. Hoormann stated the Master Gardeners Email contact list keeps growing.

  • Mr. Hoormann advised that Rusty Lee was taking over the radio show he did and to contact him in November to advertise our 2018 Master Gardener Class.

  • Mr. Hoormann will be offering 3 classes to the public and 3 advance classed for Master Gardeners this fall.  Watch Monday email for more details.  There will be a $10 Charge and registration required. They are as follows:

    • September 7, 2017- Cool Season Lawn Renovation 6-8:30pm

    • September 14, 2017-Improving Garden Soil 6-8:30pm

    • September 21, 2017-Japanese Beetles and Other Pest 6-8:30pm

    • October 5, 2017-Pesticide Application Technology 6-9:00pm

    • October 9,2017-Year Round Home Tree Management 6-9:00pm

    • October 17, 2017-Understanding Pesticide for Home Use 6-9:00pm

  • Mr. Hoormann advised Russ Reed donated push mover to the Master Gardeners.

  • Mr. Hoormann is going to get with Ken Peine to make some sort of Master Garden Sign to display by the Hortline area in the office.

  • The extended gravel parking lot has been approved by extension. We need to kill off grass. Look for work day emails.

Committee Reports

  • Speakers – Val Mertz. No report. Speakers are set for remainder of year.

  • Hortline- Patti Kolek.  We are busy.

  • Membership-Waneta Parmenter.  Nothing new at this time.

  • Demonstrations Gardens- Mary Carey.  Meeting August 12, 2017 at 9:00am.

  • Greenhouse –Amy Templer/ Cindy Platzer. Nothing new at this time.

  • Education-Mary Medina. Plans for 2018 Dig in. Lining up a main speaker and working on classes offered. Will need lot of help. Some suggested that we run pictures of the gardens, etc. with music in auditorium when not being used for anything else. More to come on Dig In. Watch the Monday Emails.

Old Business

  • Our last meeting to be held in the park will be at Towne Park, 100 Towne Park Dr, Foristell, MO 63348. Get on I-70 W to US-61 N, Follow US-61 N to Towne Park Dr. Right hand side of road. Will look like pulling in into subdivision. Watch for signs.

  • 2018 MG Class Lead facilitator will be Mary Carey. We will need class facilitators on a weekly basis. Sign-ups will be at a later meeting. We will have to set up tables and chairs for this class.  Class will be held in Room C, 01/31/2018 through 05/09/2017.

  • No one has received any nominations for class scholarship to date. Will remind at next Master Gardener meeting.

  • Still looking for class project for Master Garden Class. Will bring at next Garden Leads Meeting.

 

 

New Business

  • Nothing new on plant sales at this time.

  • It was noted that Kevin Minard brought lawn sweeper and it has been used.

  • Therapeutic Horsemanship Garden issue. I advise I would try and get over there.

  • Request for Speaker by Dorothy Marsh- Al Winkeler will get more information.

  • We need to remind members that we will be electing 2 new officers to steering committee in October. Need nominations.

  • Mary Medina has sign up for anyone interested in Monarch Madness in September.

Notes

  • Need to advise extension we need to flags out front.

 

Adjournment

  • A motion was made by Mary Carey and seconded by Joe Walker to adjourn.  All approved.